Saturday, January 28, 2012

Plaid Nails!

I can't seem to shake the funk I am in. You probably don't know this, but I moved to Germany about 3.5 months ago to be with my boyfriend (our 7 year anniversary is in 2 weeks). I did a 3 month stint here last hear to try to find a job, but had no luck, so I had to go back to the US. In preparation for this long term stay here, I scoured a website for English speaking expatriates called Toytown Germany for information. There were several posts from people who were really struggling with homesickness and just the general discomfort that goes along with uprooting your whole life and transplanting it to a place where you don't know the language, the customs, or the lifestyle.

For a while, you just roll with the punches and embrace the newness of it all, but around the 3-4 month mark, it starts to hit you how completely different your life is. I am at that point. My boyfriend has a great job that requires him to work about 50 hours a week. Two weeks ago I was finally able to begin language school, so I go there for about 20 hours a week. I'm no where near fluent and I'm still a bit terrified when I go to the grocery store or post office on my own and it's a big adjustment to be completely dependent on a bus schedule to get around when I have had a car to go where ever I wanted in the US. I also had a job, so when I wanted to buy craft supplies, see a movie, buy nail polish, etc. I didn't feel bad about it because it was my money. Now don't get me wrong, my boyfriend has been wonderful about feeding my polish addiction, but I feel guilty about it, so I guess it's just my issue.

Anyway, the best way I can think of to try to shake this funk is to share some more nail art! :)

This is another one from a while ago, but it's one of the few designs that I have actually done more than once. I just love it so much!


I call these my plaid nails and they are pretty straight forward to do. First, I painted a basecoat of white. I usually begin striping with my lightest color because it is easier to cover with the other colors, so in this case, it was the yellow. Then I criss-crossed the yellow stripes with the neon pink stripes. After giving the stripes a minute or two to dry a little, I drew in the green stripes by drawing right next to the yellow stripes. I did the same with the black polish against the neon pink stripes. I probably didn't finish off with a top coat because I only recently discovered the wonder that is Seche Vite. :)

I always get TONS of compliments on my plaid nails and people think they take so much time and are so difficult. I'm not a super patient person when it comes to my nails, so I'm not super particular with how straight the lines are.

So tell me, would you ever try this on your nails?


2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love how an awesome mani can lift our spirits! (hmm, is it the mani or the fumes?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it's the fumes, but either way, I'm okay with it. haha!

      Delete