Thursday, February 23, 2012

Love Yourself No Matter What Nail Art

My good friend Claire from my birthday group wrote this lovely post about how we as women are too hard on ourselves and others, even about our nail art. She suggested a sort of challenge where we each do whatever we want to our nails, whether that be fancy art that takes hours or just a simple 1 color manicure, whatever makes you happy that day. :)

Here is what made me happy today:


I didn't sleep well last night and I have been feeling ill and feverish for the last 2 days. While sitting in language school, all I wanted was to come home and change my polish. My boyfriend gave me a bit of grief for taking off my pink polka dot mani already because I had it on for "one day and it's awesome." lol. I agreed that I still really liked the white nails, so I used them to inspire the other nails.


This time around I just stuck with the cluster doticure and limited my colors to 4 of each shade. I used 4 different sized dotting tools, but you can't really tell the difference between the 4. I still like them though. :) They are bright and fun and make me happy. 




I had done a rainbow doticure in the past, which I have included pictures of below. I REALLY didn't care about clean up until the last few months. I also didn't understand that you didn't HAVE to paint all the way to the cuticle and both sides to make it look good. Ha, ha! That's why it looks like a child painted the base color for me. Strike that, I bet a child could have done better. I'm glad I have gotten better at this.


A lot of people didn't like the gray/black nail I threw in to break up all the brights, but I was pretty smitten with it. I needed an accent to break thinks up a bit. I used the black dots in the rainbow nails to ground the colors a bit. They needed dimension and the black lends that to the brights. :)



Have you tried a doticure in the past? I think this design really shows how beautiful a simple dotting tool can be. If you give this manicure a shot, please send me a link to your pictures of it so I can ooh and ahh over them. :)



11 comments:

  1. I need to try doing this type of polka-dot. I am loving my dotting tools way too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! this is AMAZING!! Love how small and pretty your dots are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! :) I tend to have a heavy hand when dotting too. lol

      Delete
  3. the rainbow one reminds me of wonder bread - i absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hadn't thought of that! But you're right! :)

      Delete
  4. This mani made me happy too! I recently ordered some dotting tools, I can't wait to play with then! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you started playing around with your dotting tools x.abigail? How do you like them?

      Delete
  5. I love these so much! I want them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your dots!! I like the depth they have when you use the same color in different shades! I really want to try it too!!!

    And I like the rainbow dots too and I totally agree with you about adding the black!
    maybe I wouldn't have added black but something else like blue or purple, but the one color thing is really doing great IMO to the rainbows!

    The only doticure I did so far is this one:
    http://superficiallycolorful.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-first-ever-contest-entry.html
    Well... my dotters are only a few months old and I haven't had thr chance yet LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment JinJit! I think dotting tools are kind of addicting. They let you do so much so easily! I have a post for today utilizing tape and dotting tools for a Monkey See Monkey Do entry. Hope you like it too!

      And I really love your doticure! It reminds me of blowing bubbles when you were a kid because you couldn't really see the center of the bubble, just the outline of the circle. So fun! :) Have you tried any more art with your dotting tools?

      Delete